6th Grade Spelling Playlists
Select Lists, Set Times, Start Playing!
Sixth Grade Word Study
Sixth grade marks the beginning of students middle school academic career. In sixth grade, students encounter more complex literature and informational text. The sixth grade curriculum focuses on developing academic and domain-specific vocabulary. Our Word Study Playlists are designed for easy vocabulary practice and easy sight words practice for students at every learning level.
Sixth grade students are expected to:
- Read and comprehend literature, including stories, dramas, and poems
- Interpret figures of speech in context
- Determine the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases
By the end of the year, sixth graders should be able to use grade-appropriate Greek and Latin affixes and roots to determine the meaning of a word, read text with purpose and understanding, and demonstrate an understanding of figurative language.
Sixth Grade Playlists
Watch your child’s vocabulary grow from ordinary to extraordinary! VocabularySpellingCity offers three types of vocabulary words lists:
- Rich Vocabulary – words with high utility among mature language users, yet related to concepts that are familiar to sixth graders
- General Academic Vocabulary – words associated with a specific content area such as math, science, social studies or language arts
- Academic Talk – words and phrases that are found on high-stakes tests often in the directions or questions
Learning to spell words is easy when following a continuum of spelling patterns. VocabularySpellingCity’s sixth grade spelling lists focus on advanced vowel and consonant patterns, as well as multisyllabic words.
Word Study Playlist Setup
These word lists combined with VocabularySpellingCity’s learning activities will benefit all sixth graders. When word study practice is dynamic and engaging, students succeed in developing and expanding their written and oral word knowledge and use. VocabularySpellingCity’s mission is to nurture and develop a love for words.
In just three easy steps, you can schedule your child’s word study learning path for a few months or the whole school year. VocabularySpellingCity’s Playlists provide first through twelfth grade students with grade-level appropriate word lists for vocabulary and spelling that are paired with a week’s worth of engaging learning activities packed into automated assignments.
Your child will not only be exposed to new words but with built-in review lists, those words are kept alive. It is the practice of multiple exposures over an extended period of time that allows the newly acquired words to move into long-term memory.