Student Roster Management
Account Administrators have the ability to upload Student Rosters and manage student accounts.
Options for Creating Student Accounts:
- Recommended for Districts and Large School Accounts (300+ licenses) – VocabularySpellingCity’s Implementation Team can assist with a bulk upload of all teachers and students in your school and/or district. To learn more about the School/District Upload, visit our District Management FAQs.
- Recommended for School Accounts having fewer than 300 licenses – Account Administrators can use our Student Roster Upload to create student accounts. From there, they can either.
- Manually assign students to their classroom teacher OR
- Teachers can select students from the uploaded Student Roster.
Uploading a Student Roster
- Select Account Administration from your Administrator Toolbox.
- Next to the school’s name for which you’d like to upload students, select Manage Students.
- Select Upload Students and download the Sample Student CSV.
- Enter student data into the file, following the guidelines and requirements outlined here.*
- Save your completed file as a CSV.
- On the Manage Student Rosters page, select Upload Students. Locate your saved CSV file and click Upload File. You will have an option to name your Student Roster. We recommend naming it for the classroom or grade level to which the students belong.
* Should you choose to upload your students yourself, please note that creating a separate Student Roster for each class or grade level will make it much easier to assign students to their teachers.
Assigning Students to Teachers
- On the Manage Student Rosters page, select Assign Students. Please note that the teacher and students must be associated with the same school.
- On the Account Administration page, you will see an option to Assign/Manage for each teacher under Administration. Select this link to assign students* from the Student Roster to the selected teacher. Students can also be removed from a teacher’s account using this link.
* Red student usernames within the Student Roster indicate that those students are currently assigned to another teacher. Students can be assigned to multiple teachers.
If you would like assistance with your upload or if you would like for us to upload your students for you, please email your completed CSV file(s) to email@example.com or call us at 800-357-2157 for assistance.
I’m getting an error message when I try to upload my CSV file. What should I do?
Make sure that your file meets the criteria listed here. The most common cause for upload errors is the presence of spaces and/or special characters within the file. If you continue to have trouble, please email your CSV student file to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will review your data for possible errors. We can also complete the upload for you, if you’d like.
How do I edit students within the Student Roster?
Select Manage Students, Then, click the red arrow next to each Student Roster name to open the group, and then select Edit next to each account you wish to edit. You can also double-click on the student’s name to edit inline.
Some of my teachers have already added students to their accounts, is this an issue?
We strongly recommend that Account Administrators use the Student Roster Upload to create student accounts. Students added by their individual teachers cannot be shared by multiple teachers, and this process can also lead to licensing issues. If the students have not completed activities, we suggest having the teacher delete those students’ accounts, thus freeing up the licenses to allow them to be uploaded via the Student Roster CSV.
Why have numbers been added to some students’ usernames. Is there a way to prevent this?
Student usernames must be unique to our system. For large accounts, we offer the option of activating a School Code. When this feature is in place, student usernames only need to be unique to the school’s account. Students will be required to log in on the school’s VocabularySpellingCity homepage on the web when a School Code has been activated, and they will be required to enter the school code when logging in on our apps on mobile devices. To activate a School Code for your school, please contact email@example.com or call us at 800-357-2157 for assistance.