If you notice (or a student reports) that incorrectly spelled words are being underlined in red as they type, your browser's automatic spellcheck feature is activated. For instructions on turning this feature off, please see the FAQs below.
Common FAQs - Spellchecker
Incorrectly spelled words on my students' spelling tests are being underlined in red! How can I stop this from happening?
Certain browsers underline words on the spelling test if they are misspelled. Follow the instructions below to turn off the spellchecker in your browser.
Safari users can turn off the spellchecker by going to the menu on top of the browser, then:
- Click Edit
- Select Spelling and Grammar
- Uncheck Check Spelling While Typing
Firefox users can turn off the spellchecker by going to the menu on top of the browser, then:
- Click Tools
- Select Options
- Click Advanced
- Under the General tab, uncheck Check my spelling as I type
- Click OK
Google Chrome users can turn off the spellchecker by clicking on the menu icon in the upper right-hand corner of the browser, then:
- Click Settings
- Click Show advanced settings... link at bottom
- Under Languages, click Languages and input settings...
- Uncheck Enable spell checking
- Click OK